Blog

What's the Best Superhero Movie Made So Far?

What Shows Do I Watch?

Friday, April 9, 2010 - - 1 Comments

I've had a couple of people ask me recently which shows I actually watch since I obviously don't preview or recap every genre show on TV.  So let me break it down for you:


Genre Shows That I DO Watch


"Caprica"
I loved "Battlestar Galactica" (up until the last half of the final season & the atrocious series finale) so I'm continuing to watch "Caprica" week after week.  The show is really hit-or-miss with me, though, and I'm constantly telling myself to stop watching.


"Fringe"
I love, love, love this show--it's one of my favorites.  Unfortunately, I ended up missing a few episodes earlier this season and, since it's not available on-demand, I still haven't caught up.  I'm gonna try and remedy that this summer with reruns and DVDs.


"The Vampire Diaries"
Technically, my Twilight-crazed wife watches this show but I happen to be in the room most of the time.  I don't really care for it but since I've actually seen more episodes than I've missed, I suppose it belongs on this list.


"Heroes"
I almost gave up on "Heroes" after season 3.  I think we can all agree that the show has gone downhill since the end of season 1; however, I kinda liked season 4.  Things were toned back a bit and some of the charm was back.  I'm interested to see what will happen in season 5 after Claire's big reveal.


"Legend of the Seeker"
I started to watch this show and ended up quitting on it because I thought it was just cheesy.  Lo and behold, my wife decided she loved it so she took the time to Netflix the remaining episodes.  We're still behind on most of season 2 and she's seen more of them than I have but I'd call myself a fan.  It's still cheesy but it's the kind of cheese that I like.  (Plus, Jolene Blalock is in the cast now!)


"Lost"
What can I say that hasn't already been said?  The cream of the crop, the best of the best--if it weren't for this show, then half of the other shows on this list wouldn't exist.


"Sanctuary"
This is one of my absolute favorite shows.  I was never that impressed by the commercials but I happened to be home from work on the day of the season 2 premiere and SyFy was running an all-day marathon of season 1.  I got completely caught up and was hooked.  If you aren't watching "Sanctuary", trust me, you don't know what you're missing. (Oddly enough, the only episode SyFy didn't show during the marathon was the series premiere so that's the ONLY episode I haven't seen).


"Stargate Universe"
"Stargate" was one franchise that I never got into, mainly because of my weird obsessive-compulsive need to watch episodes in order.  Occasionally, I would catch an "SG-1" rerun in syndication and I always liked it but I refused to start watching week-after-week until I was able to catch up from the beginning.  Then, before I knew it, there were 10 seasons of "SG-1", two direct-to-DVD movies, five seasons of "Atlantis", and "Universe" was in pre-production!  I quickly realized that "Universe" would have no firm ties to existing mythology so I took that as a starting point, and I'm glad I did.  This is one of the most underrated shows on TV right now--yes, it owes a lot of credit to "Battlestar Galactica" but it's far from being the same show.  (Oh, and for the record, I'm halfway through season 3 of "SG-1" now).


"V"
When I was a kid, the original "V" scared the shit out of me.  The only thing I remember about it was the bloody "V" on the wall and something about lizard people.  That was enough for me to give the remake a try. It's only been on for a few episodes and it's really not bad.  It's not phenomenal either but I'm continuing to stick with it.


"Flashforward"
I really can't stand this show anymore but I'm convinced it's going to be cancelled and I'm still watching because I want to see what's going on before it ends.  The pilot episode was phenomenal but it was filmed with an entirely different writing staff and show-runner.  So starting with episode 2, the show had an entirely different tone and direction.  Ugh...could've been a great show.  Oh well.


Genre Shows That I DON'T Watch


"Doctor Who"
I'm actually a big fan of the old "Doctor Who", thanks to my buddy Joel.  I've seen quite a few episodes from all 7 original doctors, I have bootlegs of the FOX "Doctor Who" TV movie on both VHS and DVD, and I've read several of the 8th Doctor novels.  I just never took the time to get into the new show.  I've seen about half of the first season with Christopher Eccleston but, again, due to my obsessive need to watch things in order, I never watched any of the David Tennant episodes.  Catching up is on my to-do list (all of the seasons are available for instant viewing on Netflix) but in the meantime, I think I'll go ahead and watch the new series with Matt Smith.  Seems like it should be a good jumping-on point.


"Eureka"
This one just never looked that great to me until recently but I feel like it's too late to jump in now.  I may play catch-up at some point.


"The Ghost Whisperer"
The only reason I would even consider watching this show would be to see J-Love's massive boobs jiggle around but I have the internet for that.  And now that Jamie Kennedy is in the cast, you won't see me going anywhere near this nightmare.


"Medium"
No.  Just...no.


"Supernatural"
This show just looked stupid to me but I've heard some good things about it.  The whole Friday the 13th episode they tried to do a few seasons ago sounded like a cool idea but unfortunately it never came to fruition.  Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I'm gonna continue to pass on this one.


"Smallville"
As I've said before, I was always more into Marvel, not DC, but Superman is one character that I do know a little about.  Still, when this show premiered, it just looked like a massive raping of the Superman mythos and I couldn't be privy to that.  Ten seasons later and I gather that it actually turned out pretty well.  I'll never know--that's way too much to catch up on.


"Being Human"
"Doctor Who" is about all the cheesy British CGI I can handle but I've heard good things about this one.  SyFy is developing an American version so maybe I'll watch if it translates well.


"Merlin"
Another iconic character having his mythos raped week after week--just doesn't appeal to me.


"Warehouse 13"
I watched the series premiere of this show and didn't like it at all.  I know people who swear by it now so maybe I gave up too early.


"True Blood"
I don't have HBO or Showtime so it's hard to keep up with their shows.  With that said, "True Blood" is a show that I desperately want to see so I'm planning to get caught up very soon.


That's all of the current shows that I could think of.  Did I miss any?

This entry was posted on 1:45 PM and is filed under caprica , doctor who , flashforward , fringe , heroes , legend of the seeker , lost , sanctuary , stargate universe , vampire diaries . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

Joel said...

Yeah the BSG finale still goes down as the worst series finale ever for me. Those last 10 eps of everyone crying and drinking got old fast. I'ts awesome you are going to watch the new series of Doctor Who!