Blog

What's the Best Superhero Movie Made So Far?

Avengers/Whedon, R.I.P.D., Freddy Krueger, Highlander Remake

Friday, April 2, 2010 - - 1 Comments

First of all, I apologize for the lack of updates this week--it's been a crazy one.  There will be "Flashforward" and "V" recaps this weekend, along with a "Stargate Universe" recap after tonight's mid-season premiere.


I'm also going to start a new release Tuesday column where I'll preview all of the new releases hitting DVD/Blu-Ray each week.  But for now, here's the news:


Joss Whedon to Direct The Avengers?
IESB reports that none other than Joss Whedon is currently the front-runner to direct Marvel's Avengers movie for 2012.  Now, anyone that knows me knows that I HATE Joss Whedon (yep, I'm the one guy).  But I'm actually not at all disheartened by this news.  As much as I loathe the guy, it's his writing I can't stand--he's not too shabby in the director's chair.  And The Avengers is being scripted by Zak Penn (X-Men) so there's little chance of Whedon fucking this up.  What's more, he'll be working with established characters that will have already been introduced in their respective films (Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America).  I say let him have it.


Ryan Reynolds to star in R.I.P.D.
Producer Neal H. Moritz tells Collider that Ryan Reynolds is signed to star in the adaptation of "R.I.P.D.", a graphic novel about the Rest In Peace Department (cops for dead people).  Reynolds plays a recently deceased police officer who is partnered with a veteran gunslinger.  I haven't read the book but I like the concept and this could be a lot of fun with Reynolds on board.  Consider me intrigued.


Freddy Krueger Revealed AT LAST
Finally, we a have a good look at Freddy Krueger's face from the Nightmare on Elm Street remake, thanks to some Photoshop work by a poster over at the Superhero Hype message board.  One of their users took a studio-released screenshot and enhanced it with Photoshop to give us our first peek:


A Nightmare on Elm Street
What do you think of Jackie Earle Haley's new Krueger?

Highlander Reboot Might At Least Have Queen
Back to producer Neil H. Moritz, he tells Collider in a separate interview that Justin Lin's remake/reboot of Highlander might feature some of the Queen music from the original.  Says Moritz, "Maybe. We love the Queen music and we'll see what happens."  Honestly, I'm against this project 100% but if they're gonna do it, at least let the soundtrack have some Queen covers.  Get some of today's artists like AFI, Muse, and Shiny Toy Guns and turn them loose on Queen--might be a good album, if still a shitty movie.

This entry was posted on 4:52 PM and is filed under avengers , freddy krueger , highlander , jackie earle haley , joss whedon , neil h. moritz , nightmare on elm street , queen , r.i.p.d. , ryan reynolds . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

geek.shriek said...

C'mon guys--I wanna see some comments on this one. I just ragged on genre-fave Joss Whedon and revealed Freddy's face for the first time! Let's hear your thoughts!!!