Blog

What's the Best Superhero Movie Made So Far?

New Release Tuesday Preview: "Splinter Cell: Conviction", "Nightmare on Elm Street" Blu-ray, "GTA: Episodes From Liberty City" & More

Monday, April 12, 2010 - - 0 Comments

Man, what a crappy week for home entertainment.  Oh well, there were a few titles worth mentioning so here we go:


DVD / BLU-RAY


A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection
Nightmare on Elm Street Collection
Although there's already been a Nightmare on Elm Street DVD collection available for a couple of years now, this new set features new art (actually taken from the upcoming Elm Street remake), and now includes Freddy vs. Jason.  Unfortunately, it DOESN'T include the awesome bonus disc from the previous collection.  Still, if you're like me and don't much care about special features anyway, $50 for all 8 Freddy movies is a pretty good deal.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (Blu-Ray)
A Nightmare on Elm Street [Blu-ray]
Also available tomorrow is the original 1984 A Nightmare on Elm Street on Blu-Ray for the first time.  It, too, features art and titlework from the remake (which is seriously insulting in my opinion) but I'm dying to pick this one up.  This is still one of the scariest movies ever made and the high-definition should shed some light on the dark, dreary environments.

Creature of Darkness
Creature of Darkness
Don't know much about this except that it stars former child star Devon Sawa.  Here's an excerpt from the official synopsis: "A group of off-road enthusiasts battle an evil alien during a weekend trip into the wilderness."  Could be a good rental (but it could also be shite).

Infection: The Invasion Begins
Infection: The Invasion Begins
Don't know much about this one either but a reviewer on Amazon says that it's actually very self-aware and tongue-in-cheek.  I like that.  Here's the synopsis: "A mystery surrounds a small town that was wiped out on September 9, 2009. Now, sixty years later, Sarah, the last survivor, sends a reporter a letter suggesting what really happened on that day."  Might have to check it out.

The Daisy Chain
Daisy Chain
Nope, it's not about lesbians at all.  I know, I was disappointed, too.  I don't know anything about this one either except that it stars two-time Academy Award nominee Samantha Morton (WTF?).  Here's the synopsis: "Oscar nominee Samantha Morton and Steven Mackintosh are Martha and Tomas, a grieving couple who move to a remote Irish village in the wake of their baby daughter's death. Touched by a traumatized, autistic girl whose entire family has perished in tragic accidents, they open their home to young Daisy. Martha believes that with her love, she can help Daisy...until a disturbing series of strange occurrences leads her to believe that her little girl may not be as innocent as she seems."  Sounds good enough but it also sounds like a rip-off of a dozen other movies I've already seen.  And why the fuck is this called The Daisy Chain anyway?

Ice Twisters
Ice Twisters
Now, this one I remember--it was a SyFy original sometime last year.  I didn't see it but it looked like a decent enough SyFy crapfest.  I wouldn't rent it now but if I was hungover in bed on a Saturday afternoon and it happened to be on, I would totally watch it.

"Haunted": The Complete Series
Haunted
Back when he was still that douchey drunk guy from "Party of Five" and before he was that awesome drunk guy from "Lost", Matthew Fox was in "Haunted" on UPN.  I watched a couple of episodes and I remember that I definitely didn't care for it but it wasn't terrible either.  I'd watch it again.  Thank the gods it got cancelled, though, or else "Lost" would never have been the same.

"Bakugan Battle Brawlers", Chapter 1
Bakugan Battle Brawlers, Chapter 1
I don't know anything about "Bakugan" and I really don't want to.  That said, my 9-year-old daughter thinks it's cool for some reason so I thought someone out there might care that this DVD set was coming out.  I really don't understand why it's called "Chapter 1" when it actually contains episodes 27-39 and, again, I really don't want to...


VIDEO GAMES

(Just a note first: unlike DVD/Blu-ray where I preview even the crappiest of genre titles, I will not be showing every game coming out each week.  That's because bad movies have a certain charm that geeks like me enjoy.  But bad games?  Well, they just suck.  So if I fail to mention that a new shovelware party game collection is coming out on Wii this week, there's a good reason.  Capiche?)

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction (Xbox 360)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction
Ubisoft's Xbox 360-exclusive new title is the fifth in the Splinter Cell franchise and has been highly rated in early reviews.  The only one of these types of games I've played is Rainbow Six: Vegas and I know this is pretty different from that so I don't have much of a personal opinion.  I've seen a few commercials on TV, though, and it looks pretty sweet.  I'll probably pick it up in six or seven months when I can get a used copy for cheap with some trades.

Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City (PS3/Windows)
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
This collection of previously released downloadable content for Grand Theft Auto IV has already been out on Xbox 360 for a while now but now you PS3 and Windows users can get in on the action, too.  And you don't need a copy of GTA IV to play so if you've already traded yours in, you're good to go.  I was late to the party when it came to GTA IV so I thought it sucked when I finally picked up a copy.  Hence, I have not nor will I play this title either.

This entry was posted on 11:38 PM and is filed under blu-ray , dvd , new release , nightmare on elm street , ps3 , splinter cell: conviction , windows , Xbox . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: